CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 26, 2009

Tantalize

Tantalize
by Cynthia Leitich Smith

Finished Tantalize in one day. The book was really original, despite the fact that it dealt with vampires and werepeople. It happened to be a bit educational, as well. Educational in the sense that it incorporated some elements of the supernatural, that I was unaware of before reading.


I'm a Texan. A few weeks back, I decided I wanted to read some books written by Texans. That's when I came across Tantalize and Eternal, by Cynthia Leitich Smith. At first, I was thinking, ah, another vampire book (because they seem to be really popular today, everyone wants to write about them. And not everyone can write well.) After starting, I learned it wasn't just another vampire book.


The story is set in Austin, Texas. The angle and plot of the story were probably what first drew me in. Quincie Morris, a descendant of Quincey P. Morris (a vampire slayer; he helped kill Dracula), has a hybrid-werewolf boy friend, that she would like to someday be her boyfriend. The likelihood of that happening is very minute. Not just because he's a wereperson, but because he is soon to leave her forever, to join a pack, that will provide for Kieren in ways Quincie is unable to. Before this initial heartbreak she has to deal with the lose of a loved one.

Her and her Uncle Davidson have been planning to open a vampire themed restaurant; Sanguini's: A Very Rare Restaurant. A few weeks before the official opening, they have to go on a search for a new head chef. This leads to Henry Johnson becoming a part of their family. Not only can he cook well, he can also be very seductive in other ways.

The novel has a lot to do with trust. Should she believe someone who has only been in her life for a minute, or, a friend she has had since practically birth? The wannabe chef, or, her first love? What she decides alters her life in ways she never expected.

Quincie is Italian, I believe. In a lot of films, and things like that, it seems that they have strong family bonds. Which is why some of the things that happen in the story feel messed up. While I won't expose to you what that is in particular, I will make one final comment, that can be viewed as negative.

The ending sucked. It mostly sucked because it reminded me of something another author, no, as a matter of fact, a couple of authors did with their books. After finishing Tantalize, I couldn't wait to read Eternal. The problem: the characters are different, storyline, and theme.

Authors are artists. I know it is important for them to express themselves in their own way, but why. Instead of the following book continuing where the first left off, they want to give me more people to care about. That sucks. I just fell in love with, almost, everyone else, now, I have to start over, again. I'll stop b-ing. Eternal seems like it can be just as good as Tantalize. However, it is put on hold until I read some more books I actually want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment